No day hikes or paddling trips here, though; check those out over on my Ultimate Ontario Day Trips Bucket List.
Even though I usually research online for new trails to try, one of my favourite go-to resources is Hiking in Ontario by Ulysses. This book lists so many different types of trips and trails, it’s usually pretty easy to find something of interest by leafing through the pages. Of course, I also search the Ontario Parks website, and I might try a general web search if I still can’t find anything suitable. What are your favourite resources for finding out about new or different trips and trails? Don’t be shy — leave a comment below with your suggestions (smiley face).
And if you’re planning a backcountry trip, then you might want to take a look at my series on Backcountry Meal Plans, Packing Lists, and Tips for Hikers and Casual Paddlers.
Remember to come back often since I’ll be updating the page whenever a new trail suggestion comes my way. Make that easier on yourself by subscribing for free email notifications.
Ontario Trekking Bucket List Legend
The spots on my ultimate Ontario Trekking Bucket List aren’t ranked in any particular order, though I’ve indicated which ones I’ve done, loved, would like to do again, etc.
- The ones I haven’t tried that really turn my crank: Heart.
- The ones I’ve done already: Check.
- The ones I’ve only partially done: Half Star.
- The ones I’ve done more than once: Plus.
- The ones I’ve just gotta do again: Flag.
But if it’s not flagged, that doesn’t necessarily mean I wouldn’t do it again, just that I don’t absolutely have to from the depths of my soul.
So take a look at my Ontario Trekking Bucket List below, then scroll down and leave a comment to let me know what’s on yours! Also, please let me know in the comments section below if this list was somehow useful to you.
Hiking Trips Trekking Bucket List
- La Cloche Silhouette Trail, Killarney Provincial Park Check. Plus. Flag.
- Height of Land Trail, Wakami Provincial Park Half Star. Flag.
- Papase Trail to Five Finger Rapids, Dokis First Nation, French River Check. Plus.
- Coastal Trail, Lake Superior Provincial Park Heart.
- Coastal Trail, Pukaskwa National Park Heart.
- Bush hiking to the peak of Ishpatina Ridge
- Ottawa-Temiskaming Highland Trail, Temagami area Half Star. Plus. Flag.
- Towab Trail, Lake Superior Provincial Park Check.
- Kabeyun Trail, Sleeping Giant Provincial Park Heart.
- Highland Backpacking Trail, Algonquin Provincial Park Half Star.
- Western Uplands Trail, Algonquin Provincial Park Half Star.
- Eastern Pines Trail, Algonquin Provincial Park Check.
- Semiwite Lake and McKenzie Interior Trails, Mississagi Provincial Park Half Star. Plus.
- Voyager Trail, Rainbow Falls Provincial Park
- Ganaraska Trail, Port Hope to Collingwood
- Voyageur Trail, Manitoulin Island to Sault Ste. Marie
- Bruce Trail, Niagara to Tobermory Half Star.
- Heaven’s Gate Trail, Willisville to Massey Heart.
- Georgian Bay Coast Trail Half Star. Flag.
Paddling Trips Trekking Bucket List
- Missinaibi River to James Bay
- The Massassauga Provincial Park
- Rushing River Provincial Park
- French River Provincial Park
- Spanish River Provincial Park
- Woodland Caribou Provincial Park
- Wabakimi Provincial Park
- Sturgeon River Provincial Park
Hiking and Paddling Combo Trips Trekking Bucket List
- Silver Peak, Killarney Provincial Park Check. Flag.
- Obabika Lake to the Wakimika Old Growth Trails, Temagami area Heart.
- Height of Land hike and paddle combo, Wakami Provincial Park Half Star.
- Finding Carmichael’s Rock on Grace Lake, Killarney Provincial Park Heart.
- Mowat Landing to Maple Mountain, Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater Provincial Park Heart.
- Trapper’s Trail to Lulu Lake, Esker Lakes Provincial Park Check.
- Thousand Islands National Park
- Papase Trail and French River return loop, Dokis First Nation Half Star. Flag.
Ontario Trekking Bucket List Check-Offs
If you’d like to learn more about the places I’ve already been to, take a look at these articles: